Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Curry carrot coconut soup

Did you get a giant bundle of carrots in your market box, too? If you think you'll go full Bugs Bunny, holding one stogie-like all week long to use them up, try making soup instead.

I didn't want to leave the house, so I just used what I had. And I was feeling lazy, so I only used one cutting board and a soup pan. I probably should have sauteed my garlic in olive oil in the pan before I stared, but I didn't-- and guess what? It turned out supertasty anyway.

CURRY CARROT COCONUT SOUP
Boil a few inches of water. Add chopped celery-- dregs from a ziploc bag in the freezer (equivalent of maybe half a stalk) will do just fine.

Add a few cloves of garlic, sliced.

Add chopped ginger. I like lots, so I chopped up a good-sized root. (I did skin this. You could also use dried ginger.)

Wash your carrots thoroughly and slice them into thick rounds. No need to skin if you wash them well (and have farmers you trust). Add to the boiling water. Make sure the water just covers the carrots. Add more if necessary. Boil for about 10 minutes, or until your carrots smoosh when you stick a knife at them.

Add some chives if you have them. Shake in some curry powder, cumin, and salt.

Remove pan from heat. Add a splash of coconut milk, if you have it handy.

Use an immersion blender to puree.

If you have cooked wheatberries, they add nice texture and nutrition. You could also top with some nuts for kicks.

See how easy it was to use your carrots? We ate them all within two days!

No comments: